Saturday, January 26, 2008

Career Change

This is my first blog, so beware.

I thought it might be useful to share my experience as I work through a career change. After over 30 years in industry I am trying to move into teaching chemistry at either the high school or college level. I have a PhD in chemistry and an MBA in marketing and feel that I could bring an interesting perspective to students who are interested in a technical career. I enjoyed teaching as a TA in graduate school and my various management roles in industry also carried various roles of instructional activity. My dual degrees allowed me to work at the interface of science and business; an interface that largely deals with questions of technology forecasting, evaluation, management, and goal-setting. After reading many articles on a growing shortage of science and math teachers, especially in high school, I concluded that a career change would be: 1) invigorating, 2) interesting, 3) socially responsible, and 4) a shorter commute.

But it is very difficult to leave a career that is challenging and also rewarding. Age is also a factor. A significant career change for individuals over 55 creates risks in health insurance, eventual social security payments (assuming the program continues), retirement benefits, and salary. Responsibility for a family with students in college is a key consideration. So I never made a decision. I just wondered.

I am no longer wondering and am now making that career change. The decision wasn't entirely my own, as I may eventually explain. The details will form this blog, if I believe they could be of help or interest to anyone. My notes will include a 2-month experience of teaching chemistry at a good high school to cover for a maternity leave. I learned a lot.

Anyone interested in hearing this?

No comments: